Monday, September 1, 2008

Mittens are Back - Fall 2008 Fashion Trend

As seen in the latest Fall 2008 Vogue Knitting Magazine, mittens have made the cover page and they're back! Finally!

The fingerless mittens have been a trend for quite some time now, but I used to knit full-size mittens and was wondering if they would ever make a comeback.

Having just completed a pair today, I decided to take pictures as I knit to show you how it's done. I've made literally dozens of mittens in my lifetime. I even won numerous Blue Ribbons at the Vermont Champlain Valley State Fair.

The yarn that I used is Noro, 100% wool yarn from Japan. This yarn company is headed by an amazing yarn designer. He dyes the yarns in small batches and each has a "one-of-a-kind" color palette. Also, since there are usually many different colors per skein, they end up knitting into a striped pattern, but it totally matches! (Plus, when woven, they work up as a plaid! - how cool!)

My mitten pattern is Icelandic style and they fit both hands! Also, they are seamless. Here is the cuff on double-pointed needles:

Next, the thumb opening is made:

Next, I knit, knit, knit all around and finally decreased at the top and bound off.

Voila! This is the final result - size women's, one size fits most.



Just like I mentioned regarding those small batched dye lots. It's hard to believe that both mittens came from the same dye pot, but they did!

Here are some other images of the final pair of mittens. To view these and more of my knitted and felted items, please follow the link to my Etsy store: http://pafiberartist.etsy.com/



Make a fashion statement this Fall/Winter and stay warm at the same time!

Au revoir and Wieder sehen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Susan, this is a wonderful post. You make it look so easy, if I did this my mittens would be crooked. These are gorgeous. I didn't know about using the safety pin to keep them in place.

I have an award on my post today. Please stop by and take it home.

Love, Karen